Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The Casual Vacancy


Where do I begin with this book. It shocked me that I didn't like this book at all. I started reading it and from the beginning I was bored. There wasn't any crazy action going on until the very end of the book so I was never drawn in with major interest.
You do have to keep in mind that this book was her move away from children's literature and into the adult realm, so that could be why the writing was a bit on the dull side. The book is split into 7 parts with narratives from different characters. It focuses on the death of a local parish councillor and how different men in the community are fighting for the position and how that affects their families and other people around them.
The parish council also has a website which is hacked and rumors about people start appearing and creating major chaos throughout the town. These rumors in my opinion are what kept the book going. If it wasn't for them I think I would've put the book down waaaay towards the beginning.
For anyone who is a J.K. Rowling fan I would say give this book a go. She definitely did something very different with this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment